Air Gun Forums

Air Gun Forums (http://airgunsforum.org/index.php)
-   New Members Intro Forum (http://airgunsforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hi, Jim from Illinois (http://airgunsforum.org/showthread.php?t=144)

Jim Eck 03-12-2012 05:05 PM

Hi, Jim from Illinois

Hi, I primariy use my airguns for in town 'hunting'. I had an old Gamo with a muzzle brake that I really liked, unfortunately someone broke into my house and I no longer have it. i replaced it with a Gamo Whisper, no where near the same gun as the old one and the 'scope' that came with it leaves a lot to be desired.

I also have an old Benjamin, it needs a kit for as it won't hold ressure anymore, but it haven't used it in a long time as it is also loud.

I hope to learn a bit here and maybe be able to find a more suitable replacement for my old Gamo.

Jim

grumpy 03-13-2012 02:13 PM

Hi Jim, Welcome aboard.

Sadly, as you found out, the new Gamo stuff is a lot of marketing, like that speaker company we all like to talk about over on AK. Real shame as the older Gamo stuff was made with nice quality.

The good thing is if you tell us what model Benji you have we can probably help you get it back it shooting shape. And as usual, pictures are a plus

Dave

Jim Eck 03-15-2012 12:20 PM

Thanks Grumpy, I am actually shopping for another gun at this point, the old Benjamin is kind of loud for using in the neighborhood.

How are the other springers as far as being worth their salt? Crossman, RWS, any others?

Jim

grumpy 03-15-2012 06:03 PM

Now these are only my opinions but RWS is NOT what it used to be. I have a 1988 model 45 that I would not trade for any of the new model 34's, which is RWS most popular model.

Crosman has some great guns but some are made in china and are having some quality problems. The great thing about crosman is their customer support is second to none !

One brand I would recommend to stay away from completely is Gamo. They offer zilch as far as support.

A great site with tons of guns is www.pyramdair.com They have loudness ratings of each gun in the specs. Find a couple you like and post em here. We will be happy to offer up any thoughts on em.

Dave

Jim Eck 03-19-2012 12:17 PM

Thanks Dave.

Jim

Jim Eck 03-19-2012 02:27 PM

Beeman Xcel X2 Air Rifle, RS3 Trigger

Browning Gold, Wood Stock

Benjamin Titan NP Nitro Piston Air Rifle

Hatsan 95 Air Rifle Combo, Walnut Stock

Stoeger Arms X20S Suppressor Air Rifle

These caught my eye, the Browning probably has some inflation on cost for the Browning name. I had looked at Stoegers in the past but really don't know anytihing about them.

What do you think?Suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

grumpy 03-19-2012 02:34 PM

The browning is a re badged gun, made by someone else.

If going Beeman you probably want to stick with the R- series guns.

The Benjamin is a good one but needs trigger work. The good thing about that is theres a fellow named Charlie the tuna who makes a very nice replacement trigger for about 30 bucks. Its light years better then the stock one.

Hatsans has been making guns sold under other big names for a while. They just started selling in the US under their own. I have not tried one but its my understanding they are good value for the money.

Stoeger makes good guns too.

Hope this helps

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Eck (Post 459)
Beeman Xcel X2 Air Rifle, RS3 Trigger

Browning Gold, Wood Stock

Benjamin Titan NP Nitro Piston Air Rifle

Hatsan 95 Air Rifle Combo, Walnut Stock

Stoeger Arms X20S Suppressor Air Rifle

These caught my eye, the Browning probably has some inflation on cost for the Browning name. I had looked at Stoegers in the past but really don't know anytihing about them.

What do you think?Suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

Jim Eck 03-19-2012 02:41 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Dave, any word on the difference between the X20 and the X50 Stoeger? I am a studier when it comes to these things so any input is fantastic. I didn't think about the changes the that Gamo might have done to a one time great line of guns.

Are you about ready for AKFest? It doesn't look like I will make it again this year, my Bride and I had a great time the one time we were able to make it. We got to meet yourself, Tim and several great people including Sandy G.

Jim