View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Smaug

Default Part II

Photos:

I took a LOT of pictures of these two guns, so rather than clog up this thread, I'll just post a link to the appropriate Photobucket album and let you browse through them there:

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q...guns/?start=20

Miscellaneous:
The barrel of the Crosman is coated in plastic, so for most of the exterior, at least, corrosion will not be an issue. Just keep an eye on the base of the barrel at the hinge.

The Daisy includes a single loading insert and a 5-shot clip. 5-packs of 5-shot clips are available for about $6. The clip works great, and it equalizes the shot-to-shot times on these guns: The Crosman only needs to be broken open, a pellet loaded, and closed again, and it is ready. The Daisy needs to have its bolt pulled back, the rifle pumped once, and the bolt moved forward. I really like these clips. They're cheap, yet they work well. Insert the pellet and push it just below flush with the tip of a finger. (not a fingernail; this will put a kink in the pellet's skirt and hurt accuracy) I also tried the included single shot tray, and it doesn't work as well as the clips. When the bolt is pushed forward, the head of the pellet tends to aim upwards and catch up. It is really not worth using unless you're shooting single shots of many different types of pellets.

Versatility:
Daisy: 3
Crosman: 4

As mentioned earlier, the Crosman can shoot targets, plink, AND be used on small game and pests at short ranges. The Daisy... less so on that last point.

Overall:
Daisy: 5
Crosman: 4

Looking just at the pure numbers above, the Daisy would be the clear winner. But if we weighted the numbers, they'd be a tie, because the Crosman is more versatile on account of its extra power. If I were to compare the Daisy 953 to the Ruger Explorer/Xisico B-16 or even the IZH-61, I think the Daisy would be the one I'd pick. Without the power advantage, there's really no point in choosing a springer in this velocity class of gun. Just remove gun movement and barrel alignment from the equation, and one is better off. When choosing, think of your use. If you can hit the live target with the Raven, it has more power, and is therefore more versatile. But if the extra accuracy of the Daisy somes in to play... Look at it this way. Would you rather take a head shot on a starling with the Daisy at 450 fps, or a body shot with the Crosman at 550 fps? That's what it boils down to, because the Daisy is twice as accurate as the Crosman.

Chrono Results:
I haven't tested every pellet, but I've tested everything from medium to heavy. I haven't tried anything in the 4-6.9 window, or anything above 10.7 gr. It is enough, I hope, to give you a good idea of where these guns will shoot with your favorite pellets.

Gun * * * * * * * * * *Pellet * * * * * * * * * * Velocity (fps)

Raven * * * * * * * * *CPL * * * * * * * * * * * *578
Raven * * * * * * * * *CPHP * * * * * * * * * * *567
Raven * * * * * * * * *Hobby * * * * * * * * * *606
Raven * * * * * * * * *Kodiak (10.65) * * * * 468
Raven * * * * * * * * *H&N FTTP * * * * * * * 536
Raven * * * * * * * * *JSB Exact * * * * * * * *586
Raven * * * * * * * * *JSB Exact RS * * * * * 634
Raven * * * * * * * * *Beeman Laser * * * * *641
Raven * * * * * * * * *Beeman Pointed * * * 548

953 * * * * * * * * * * CPL * * * * * * * * * * * *419
953 * * * * * * * * * * CPHP * * * * * * * * * * *411
953 * * * * * * * * * * Hobby * * * * * * * * * *436
953 * * * * * * * * * * Kodiak (10.65) * * * * 356
953 * * * * * * * * * * H&N FTTP * * * * * * * 394
953 * * * * * * * * * * JSB Exact * * * * * * * *421
953 * * * * * * * * * * JSB Exact RS * * * * * 459
953 * * * * * * * * * * Beeman Laser * * * * *477
953 * * * * * * * * * * Beeman Pointed * * * 406
953 * * * * * * * * * * Skenco Poly Match * *doesn't fit, too long
953 * * * * * * * * * * Crosman SSP (4 gr.) 565
953 * * * * * * * * * * Daisy Precision Max * 435
* * * * * * * * * * * * *pointed (7.1 gr.) * * *

I can heartily recommend either of these guns... so far!

At 5 yards, I had my best rest for the guns. At this range, with Beeman Lasers and RWS Hobbys, the Daisy 953 averaged 0.36", center-to-center, 5-shot groups.

Same rest (loose) with the same pellets for the Raven yielded an average of 0.54"

Ease of accuracy:
Daisy: 10/10
Crosman: 6/10

It took me a while to figure it out, but the Crosman is hold sensitive, while the Daisy is not. It is a lot easier to shoot tight groups with the Daisy as a result.