View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Bob La Londe

I've recently been investigating chat programs for one of my websites. Ajax Chat seemed to be the best choice for real integration for many sites, but then I found my host was killing processes that put a repetitive and ongoing load on the server like chat programs. They must have had some pretty intensive users, because my sites now load consistently and quickly all the time.

Anyway, Ajax Chat seems to have some of the best integration if allowed. I looked around for another host that would allow me to run a chat on my server and found that most now kill such processes. If you are hosting on a VPS or actual PS you have control of your processor, but on affordable shared hosting that most of us use these types of processes are being killed.

That leaves you with using a third party chat like the one used here. They work. Unfortunately most of have a limited demo period before you have to start paying for service, or they limit the number of connections you can have without paying a monthly fee. As does this one. I looked. Grumpy, thanks for paying the fee given how rarely I find somebody on the chat here.

Unless this site picks up I wouldn't chase this particular wild horse to hard.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-13-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Bob La Londe is offline   Reply With Quote