View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
SteveP

Was hoping to finish this thing sooner then ran into a minor problem. Ronbeux sent me a piece of Bocote wood to make a grip cap from after seeing the stock stained and in process of getting ready to glue it on, got tripped up by the carpet my father has in front of his work bench and 165 pounds of me bounced off the stock which at that point was in a bench vise. First time in all the hours, and it's been a lot, I've spent at that bench working on guns in any way shape or form I've ever had an oops.
Needless to say, I cracked the stock badly enough falling into it that it took me a couple days of pinning, gluing and wood filling to fix the damage done. I did not take pics of it and to be honest, never thought about it at the time or after for what should be obvious reasons. It also made me have to rethink how I was going to finish the stock as staining at that point wasn't an option with all the wood filler.
Painting was the only real option and after thinking about the Edge stock I modded, painted blue and joked about one day doing one in red, this isn't remotely what I had in mind back then but, Testors Acrylic Laquer in a shade called Revving Red, with black checkering and the now raised comb also in gloss black. I even painted the white spacer for the buttpad and the scope rings the same shade of red, then clearcoated everything with 2 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear.
Like it, don't like it, feel free to comment but for better or worse (quit a bit of worse..lol) it's done and although not what I originally planned, I think for the problems I had during, it turned out pretty well...and I will at some point try again...I also did up a before and after pic to show the difference.
Attached Images

SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote