Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air gun Alley » Turkish blend » Hatsan 87 QE in a Model 95 stock.

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
SteveP

Default Hatsan 87 QE in a Model 95 stock.

A couple months back, I bought a Model 95 parts gun to use what was an already tuned action to rebuild the 95 Vortex I screwed up and because I wanted the stock to refinish and put my Model 87 QE .177 in and, a little here and a little there, finally got it done.

I did the usual strip, clean out the checkering and sanded it from 80 to 320 grit and then got the mini files out and between those and very careful sanding, removed the MOD 95 SAS that was on both sides of the stock then took one of the pointed mini files and very carefully traced back out all the lines around the checkering to make sure everythingwas out of them and because I wasn't quite careful enough in a few places. Those files are also very handy for deburring cocking slots and such during tuning and I got them from Ebay for anyone interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PC-CURVED...AAAMXQgb1RNTB9

Once all that was done, it got tack ragged and then stained with a 50/50 mix of Minwax Gunstock and Golden Oak stains and left to sit for a day. The checkering was done with Zar Rosewood stain and a small artist's brush, then left to sit for a day. After that, it got 17 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil over a 5 day stretch, left to set for a day, then wetsanded with 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper and a final 18th coat of Tru-oil applied and left to dry for a couple days before the finishing touches.

Those touches are a set of custom engraved brass plates to denote the rifle as a Model 87 QE (and why I sanded off the MOD 95 SAS) plus getting a can of Krylon Metallic Brass paint and painting the trigger guard, butt pad spacer and scope rings.
Like it, hate it, think I'm a little crazy and went overboard?? Your call but I'm beyond happy with how it turned out and I now have a very custom Model 87 QE Vortex .177. Thanks for reading everyone and feel free to let me know what you think .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87 refinish 6.jpg
Views:	2724
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	154   Click image for larger version

Name:	87 refinish 8.jpg
Views:	2703
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	155   Click image for larger version

Name:	87 refinish 9.jpg
Views:	2716