Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air gun Alley » Turkish blend » Hatsan Striker stock mods..

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
SteveP

Default Hatsan Striker stock mods..

Grumpy asked so I thought I'd copy the thread over here and since for now there's no dedicated place for gun mods, I figured I'd put it in the Hatsan section.
Been reading up on refinishing Beech stocks as re-doing one of my Striker stocks has been a little itch in the back of my head, then when several people said "Hey, try Watco Danish Oil, I think you'll like it" and saw pints of it at Wally World for $7.97 I bought pint of the Medium Walnut, a couple cans of stripper (I agreed to refinish another members' Hatsan Model 95 stock if it ever gets here) and got started.
Not sure what they use to spray coat these things at Hatsan but it took me stripping it twice to finally get all of it off (my 95 stock was once and done) then went to town sanding. Took some pics with intent to write this post and the more I looked at them, the bigger the itch got to get rid of the goofy looking tear drop shapes the Striker stocks have on them, soooo...out came the files, an orbital sander (a first for me and a gun stock, normally do everything by hand) and a dremel.
Mind you, this is a first attempt for me at trying anything to do with shaping a stock or changing the lines of one, but I'm happy with how it turned out and at least to me looks better than how they normally come from Hatsan.
Here's the first few pics from start, to stripped to shaped...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strikerstock1.jpg
Views:	3250
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	91   Click image for larger version

Name:	strikerstock3.jpg
Views:	3233
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	92   Click image for larger version

Name:	strikerstock8.jpg
Views:	3197
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	93  
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
SteveP

On to Part 2...lol
Always kinda bothered me that the comb rode so low so I figured since I'm already shaping things....

I don't have access to more than a few things that just might have made this easier and I most definitely don't have the skills most of you guys do. This was all done with nothing more than a jigsaw, a drill and bit to start the holes for the 5/8" dowel and a dremel.
May not be perfect and it's not set totally set in yet as I have a couple more things to do, but I'm happy with how it turned out and I now have a raised comb instead of my chin pretty much sitting on top of the comb because it sat so low.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	strikerstock12.jpg
Views:	3069
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	94  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
SteveP

Was hoping to finish this thing sooner then ran into a minor problem. Ronbeux sent me a piece of Bocote wood to make a grip cap from after seeing the stock stained and in process of getting ready to glue it on, got tripped up by the carpet my father has in front of his work bench and 165 pounds of me bounced off the stock which at that point was in a bench vise. First time in all the hours, and it's been a lot, I've spent at that bench working on guns in any way shape or form I've ever had an oops.
Needless to say, I cracked the stock badly enough falling into it that it took me a couple days of pinning, gluing and wood filling to fix the damage done. I did not take pics of it and to be honest, never thought about it at the time or after for what should be obvious reasons. It also made me have to rethink how I was going to finish the stock as staining at that point wasn't an option with all the wood filler.
Painting was the only real option and after thinking about the Edge stock I modded, painted blue and joked about one day doing one in red, this isn't remotely what I had in mind back then but, Testors Acrylic Laquer in a shade called Revving Red, with black checkering and the now raised comb also in gloss black. I even painted the white spacer for the buttpad and the scope rings the same shade of red, then clearcoated everything with 2 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear.
Like it, don't like it, feel free to comment but for better or worse (quit a bit of worse..lol) it's done and although not what I originally planned, I think for the problems I had during, it turned out pretty well...and I will at some point try again...I also did up a before and after pic to show the difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	striker paint 4.jpg
Views:	3052
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	95   Click image for larger version

Name:	striker paint5.jpg
Views:	3066
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	96   Click image for larger version

Name:	striker paint6.jpg
Views:	3116
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	97   Click image for larger version

Name:	striker before-after.jpg
Views:	3105
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	98  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Airgun.Sniper

I really like the looks of the finish product steve
Old 02-02-2017, 03:34 AM   #5
Jward681

Dang it Steve you're giving me competition/motivation to refinish more stocks....just need them to come my way to do it lol
Jward681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
Airgun.Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jward681 View Post
Dang it Steve you're giving me competition/motivation to refinish more stocks....just need them to come my way to do it lol

Makes me want to send him one of mine.