Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air Guns Reviews » Air Guns and accessory reviews » Daystate Huntsman initial thoughts

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
grumpy
Administrator

Default Daystate Huntsman initial thoughts

Recently I got a new Huntsman Classic .22 cal from Precission airguns. The sale Jim had was just too good to pass up. This is my initial impressions.

Opening the box I felt the packing was noting special. Came packed the same way my QB78 was. It is packed in a sort of form fitting hard foam. On one side of the foam I could see the barrel had smashed the foam pretty hard. This is the type of foam that breaks in to little pieces On packing I have to say totally not impressed.

Pulled out the instructions, they are maybe 8 pages long. Mostly generic for the whole line. Not something I care for as I am not buying the whole line. Instructions should cover the gun bought. Luckily the Huntsman does not require much in the way of special directions.

With gun set up in my predator rest I mounted a bushnell trophy 4x12 on BKL single strap, high 1" rings. . It was pretty uneventful.

Weather conditions. 45 deg, very gusty wind, roughly 15-20 mph cross wind

Hunstman Classic
BKL 257MB rings
Bushnel Trophy 3x12x40

All shooting was done at 20 yards with JSB 15.9 gr pellets

All of the below was performed before chrony results. That will be today. Hence I did not want to shoot with air pressure too low.

Filling the Huntsman was simple. Fills the same way the Benji Mrod does. Has a very nice dust cover over the fill port.

The first shot on paper were further off the paper then I anticipated. Turned out to be no problem for the bushy to adjust for. Took all of 7 shots to hit center on 1" orange dots. The remaining ( 3 ) shots were used to ensure everything was hitting where I aimed. Removed the clip and reloaded 10 more pellets. Checked the air gauge, which is located in the bottom of the forearm, and it read about 140 bar. Wished it read in PSI but its something that I am sure I'll get used too in time. The next 10 shots were split in to two, 5 shot groups. Now I am not sure of the air capacity of the Huntsman Classic but by the 20th shot I was down to the point where I would suggest refilling to 200 bar. Back to the groups, all shots touched, if not for the wind and my own user error I feel one hole groups could be the norm. My groups measured 3/16

Wrap up.

This is my first Daystate and will not be my last ! The trigger right out of the box is fantastic. The huntsman with scope mounted weights in at about 7.5 pounds. To me that’s the perfect weight for carrying a field. I cannot comment on shot count yet, but 20 shots with no drop was easily accomplished. Accuracy is way better then I am capable of .

There will be much more to come on this in the very near future.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
eric

nice review --- i shot an airwolf and was in love ---- too many bells and whistles to think about purchasing one but i've had my eye on the huntsman .love the look verses the other models wish they made a .20
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
grumpy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
nice review --- i shot an airwolf and was in love ---- too many bells and whistles to think about purchasing one but i've had my eye on the huntsman .love the look verses the other models wish they made a .20
I feel the same way about the electronic guns. I have shot a couple and was very impressed but give me an old fashioned one any day lol
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
eric

almost bit the bullet, found a .20 for a grand --- new but not quite ready to get into the whole pcp thing right now
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
grumpy
Administrator

It does take a commitment to go pcp. but once the initial costs are taken care of, they are a joy to shoot. I have to say after having the Huntsman for a while that I do not regret the purchase one bit.

Grumpy
Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
eric

it will happen but i have other priorities to work thru first