Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Events » Knives and Blades » Ask your blade related questions here

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
wilsonj1018

No problem bud lmk.
wilsonj1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
BigTinBoat

Default Finding Knife maker and steel used

Josh,

Below is a pic of my hunting knives. The middle one has been my only hunter since I rescued it back in 1985 from my father in laws house that his parents left to him. The tip was broken and the blade had some really bad rusting. Well I cleaned it up, reshaped the tip and it has turned in a fine knife. It is razor sharp and will hold it's edge easily thru field dressing and quartering several deer.

My questions are 1) Any idea who made it? Or what steel is used? There are no marking on the blade or handle at all.

The other knives in the pic I recently got when my uncle and father in law died. I use the S&W for skinning. Seems to be a decent knife. FIL got in in the early 80's when he purchased a S&W 1500 rifle.
The other is a Queen #89. From what I read it is D2 steel. Does this sound right? If so is it worth keeping?
Reason is I got several knives from them that I will be getting rid of as they don't fit my needs. If this Queen is a decent blade I think I will keep it as I like the styling and the handle fits me well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170220_192916.jpg
Views:	14739
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	128  
BigTinBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
wilsonj1018

ok the queen is the best of the 3 by a long shot materials wise, it will hold a edge better than the other two by a significant margin.

the middle knife is a small hunter pattern literally hundreds of makers used without any markings its basically unidentifiable, its a stick tang, and likely the weakest of the bunch. probably made with a good high carbon steel. probably a good user for cutting on a deer.

third knife is probably a decent knife, s&w has been branded on hundreds if not thousands of knives, some quality, some junk. yours looks like one of the older usa made ones, and is likely a damn good knife on par with a usa made buck with 420hc.

sorry i couldnt help much, but thats about all i can tell ya.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #14
BigTinBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
ok the queen is the best of the 3 by a long shot materials wise, it will hold a edge better than the other two by a significant margin.
Thanks, that's good to hear. It's not going to ebay. I have to get my sharpener out this week for my EDC's so I will put a nice edge on the Queen and start carrying it.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #15
wilsonj1018

dont get frustrated LOL d2 isnt anything to sneeze at sharpening.. its quite abrasion resistant and has a pretty large grain structure.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
BigTinBoat

Anything like what's in the Benchmade 707? I take my time and use 6 or 7 different grit stones before going to mag polish on a leather strop.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #17
wilsonj1018

a little better than benchmades 154cm IMO its just not quite as stainless.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #18
BigTinBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
Josh,

Just wanted to say thanks and let you know you were 100% on with the Queen. I put a razor edge on it. I have field dressed 4 whitetails so far this fall and have only touched it up on my steel. It still shaves. It rips right thru the rib cage without thinking about slowing down.
Sure glad I kept it.

Thanks for the advice,
Rob
Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #19
wilsonj1018

No problem pal, glad I could help.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
grumpy
Administrator

How Y'all been. Lets see some of them blades. I picked up a few more I need to take pics of
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote