Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air Guns Reviews » Air Guns and accessory reviews » QB-78 CO2 Air Carbine.

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
ShakySarge

Default QB-78 CO2 Air Carbine.

First of all I would like to thank Grumpy for this wonderful carbine! That being said, let me get into the meat and potatoes of this review.

1. Price Range 100-160 dollars from FlyingDragonAirRifles.org. The price will depend on if you want a standard look-over tune with a barrel and crown check or a more powerful tune which includes porting the valve and other minor changes. I highly suggest purchasing from Mike Melick at the above website. He stands by his work and will solve ANY issues that could possibly arise.

That being said we move on to number two!

2. Looks. Rifle seems very lightweight which would greatly benefit a small shooter and is very compact. The stocks, although Chinese are nicely finished in a dark reddish stain and has a smooth over-all finish. The butt is slightly low if you add a scope, which you will! However, this can be modified using simple cheek risers. The Barrel band is literally junk as the screw must fit in such a tight area that any over tightening will snap it immediately. Once again, Mike M has the fix for it and stands behind his work 120%.

3. Function. The overall function of the action is very smooth once you add a dab of moly paste mixed with 30WT Non-Detergent oil to the bolt. The gun takes 2 12 gram co2 carts by way of an end cap on the lower tube. Once FULLY tightened the CO2 will not be pierced and can remain shelved indefinitely. To pierce the cartridges, point the rifle in a safe direction, cock the bolt and return to forward down position, release safety and fire, you will hear a small popping sound. You are now ready to shoot! The safety is located on the right side of the carbine and is VERY rough to work with one finger. Use extreme caution when using the safety until it is worn in or modded, which I will cover in a different post. DO NOT allow your fingers to slip onto the trigger if the rifle is cocked and you need to return it to safe, it WILL fire and I have a hole in my tin roof on my deck to prove it! But seriously, always treat every gun as loaded. The trigger is adjustable to a hair trigger and is very pleasant to use which results in great accuracy.

4. Accuracy, if treated properly this rifle will shoot sub 1/2 inch groups at 20 yards. IT is not hold sensitive, but has a medium to loud report, depending on your tune, or lack there-of. I have taken squirrel in 70-80 degree weather at 55 yards with head-shots. I firmly believe that 60-70 yard shots could be made on birds and chipmunks, but that is yet to be determined.

Overall this rifle rates a 3 out of 5 stars in my opinion. 1 Star lost for cheap barrel bands, 1 lost for CO2 carts.

Thanks for your time and give feedback folks! Dave "Grumpy" has made a great site for us and we need to use it more often!!!!!!!!

Matt

Last edited by ShakySarge; 12-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Adding a photos
ShakySarge is offline   Reply With Quote