Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air gun Alley » Air Force guns » Anybody here got a Texan?

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
BigTinBoat

Default Anybody here got a Texan?

With Maryland changing our law to now allow Deer and Bear hunting with an Air Rifle as long as it is at least .40 cal and produces 400FPE at the muzzle I'm ready. I'm fairly certain that later in the week I will be working a trade for a .457 Texan with a bunch of accessories. It's coming with an assortment of ammo. 350 Flat nose, 330, 400 and 495 Spitzers and some 415 BTHP's.
Wondering what you guys are shooting and any ideas about where to start that Power wheel and what to do with it based in my results.
Also wondering if there are any common "problems" with them, and what if anything can be done to possibly avoid the problems.
And lastly - what are the "must have" accessories? I'm liking the looks of the Maddog stock but not sure how much weight it will add. Also like to quiet it down and wondering what options are out there.

Thanks in advance.
BigTinBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
bigredhunter

friend of mine got a hold of a 45 cal texan from the owners of predator. They supplied pellets too. well we ran out of scope trying to sight in at 100 yards and averaged probably 9 shots on a fill. was fun to shoot though.
bigredhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
Clifford

I have not had a chance to shoot a texan yet but they look like a pretty good value in the big bore market. Will be very interested in some photos and your shot string results.

400fpe is a tall order for that law, although I'm seriously doubting they go around checking peoples airguns.
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
BigTinBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredhunter View Post
friend of mine got a hold of a 45 cal texan from the owners of predator. They supplied pellets too. well we ran out of scope trying to sight in at 100 yards and averaged probably 9 shots on a fill. was fun to shoot though.
I'm thinking I can sight it at 100yds n problem as I've seen some guys shooting 500yds with them. Maybe it was because if shooting 9 shots on a fill. From what I've read so far I'm expecting 2 "kill" shots, but when sighting in I will tether at 2800 or so. I'm going to build an in-line reg for my SCBA tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
I have not had a chance to shoot a texan yet but they look like a pretty good value in the big bore market. Will be very interested in some photos and your shot string results.

400fpe is a tall order for that law, although I'm seriously doubting they go around checking peoples airguns.
Considering I'm getting in the BB game for about $600 I think it's a good "valve". It hasn't been shot much as I don't think the guy realized how much gun it really is. He siad all he ever did was blow apart cinder blocks at about 30yds.
I'm pretty certain you are right about the power level. I bet you 9 out of 10 of our DNR Officers have never even seen a Chrony let alone used one. I'll just show them the PA ad where it says it shoots in excess of 500FPE. That's how they would check a powder burner. They would look at your round and then go off the manufacturer specs to be sure it meets the 1200FPE requirement.
BigTinBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
Airgun.Sniper

I would have to agree with Cliff's statement. The Air Force Texan seems to be the best Calvin for the big more market.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #6
Clifford

Shooting it regulated off an SCBA tank would be fun for sure. Would really like to see some groups running through that setup.
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
Jward681

While I've never shot or held a texan I can give you an idea bas3d on my talon. The book numbers for talon are 5.5lbs for rifle. Add scope weight which for distance shooting you'll likely be in the 1.5ish lbs range. Maddog stock is just under 2lbs. My set up is 18" barrel with Paris D LDC, maddog stock, UTG 4-16×56mm scope and a small light mounted with a Caldwell bipod on occasion. With everything on the she tips the scales around 11lbs. While not overly heavy, it does get heavy toting through the woods.
Jward681 is offline   Reply With Quote