Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air Guns Reviews » Gun accessory reviews » Nuvair MCH6 Portable Compressor Review

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
ShakySarge

Default Nuvair MCH6 Portable Compressor Review

I have waited about a year to provide a review of the MCH6 four stage, gas powered, 4,500psi, breathable air compressor in order to provide a better review after fair usage and to see how it holds up.

Here is what I have gathered after almost a year of use.

Firstly, at a price tag of $3,000 it certainly isn't for everyone. That price does NOT include freight shipping. Overall it weighs 84 pounds. Quite manageable for one person but much easier with two. It is 31" x 14" x 15" so it doesn't take up much space which is a plus for me as I hardly have enough room with all my other toys and equipment around.

It is powered by a 5.5 HP Honda four stroke gasoline engine that is quite efficient with fuel. I have used it countless times and have only used 1-1/2 tanks of fuel. This is running at full throttle while filling. The engine is quite loud at 87DB so ear protection is recommended especially in areas that are not wide open outdoors. I use it under my car port and the sound definitely reverberates from the metal roofing. The engine is very easy to start using the pull cord but needs to be choked when initially started, and for longer periods in cooler and cold weather. The engine has an hour meter that also monitors RPM of the engine. The hour meter is useful as it requires the compressor lubricant be changed every hundred hours of use.

The actual compressor is an Italian Coltri 4 stage 4,500 psi with air quality of "DIN 3188-CGA Grade E-NFPA 1500- EN 12021", whatever that means!!! In other words, breathable air suitable for air guns. It takes approximately 19 mintues to fill an 80CF tank from 500 to 3,000 psi. The condensation drains are both manual and should be drained every 20 minutes of operation to ensure quality air. They are easy to open and close and very accessible. The air intake is at the end of along tube to ensure that is easy to manage to ensure that no exhaust gets into the intake which could contaminate the air. The fill hose is high quality high pressure hose and comes standard with a DIN300 adapter with pressure release valve. The DIN fitting can easily be swapped out for a paintball adapter for direct fill of an airgun or pony tank at the cost of losing the pressure release valve. This could be addressed by making your own from parts at any HPA outlet online. The compressor can be ordered with either a 3,000 PSI pressure release valve or a 4,500 PLV depending on what applications you use it for.

Now for my thoughts. Although I was a bit nervous about spending this kind of money on something just for my own use, it has almost already paid for itself with fuel savings and time saving from going to a paintball facility to fill my tanks. This is great as the field has reduced it's pressures in it's cascade tanks to 4.200psi to prevent blowing out the burst discs on clients paintball tanks. So getting a full fill was virtually impossible without driving 2 hours somewhere else.

The system is extremely easy to use and maintain. I have had no problem moving it around by myself and have even lifted into the bed of my lifted truck by myself without any strain. This also makes it easier for me to move it into the shed to secure when not in use. I generally refill my 88CF SCBA tanks when they reach 2800-3000 psi. It takes about 7 minutes to fill one tank from 2800-4500. Much faster than a shoebox or many other portable compressors on the market these days. There is no external air needed other than the air we are breathing right now which is a plus seeing as how there is no need for another compressor to feed it like the boosters require. I have been using a lot of air since I started shooting the big bore PCPs and have a couple buddies that also use PCPs living close and we use the system on a regular basis.

My overall opinion of the system is that if you are looking for a fast, portable compressor. It's ease of use is superior and the quality of the components is also superior. I would certainly recommend it to anyone that could budget it. I love this thing!

The only change I would make would be a better muffler on the engine to reduce the noise emission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5313.jpg
Views:	2316
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	198  
ShakySarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, hpa, portable, quality