currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air gun Alley » Turkish blend » Hatsan Model 87 QE review

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
SteveP

Thumbs up Hatsan Model 87 QE review

I've had the rifle awhile and it's not one most people look at, they usually go for the Model 95 because of the Turkish Walnut stock but MidwayUSA was clearancing these at the time for $118 so I figured why not. Came double boxed and actually in great shape. Rifle was in the usual Hatsan sealed bag with a light coat of oil which wipes off pretty easy.
Checked everything over from end to end and only found one small scuff you'll see in the pictures which I'm not worried about. No rough spots or flashing sticking out, bluing is even and no light spots and the stock seems to be a heavier grade synthetic than they use on the Edge and Striker. There are a couple of molding spots in the stock under the riser that are noticeable, but also not something I'm worried about
The front of the shroud is actually dovetailed for the fiber optic sight which is held on with a phillips head screw so if for whatever reason you want to take it off or use a different style, it should be a pretty simple swap. The safety is also different from my other 5 Hatsans as this one after cocking you have to pull back towards you instead of pushing in to release which also might make it safer than their usual style as you can't accidently bump the safety and push it in.
The adjustable cheek riser is actually solid, not hollow like I thought it would be and the threaded stud and turn wheel are metal not plastic. It moves very smoothly compliments of that and no binding or sticky spots lik you might get with some of the guns out there that have them but use all plastic parts and being my first rifle with one will take some tinkering with. Cocking seems to be about the same as my 95 also with no hitches, glitches or grinding noises, just a nice smooth pull all the way through.
Now for the part I know everyone is wondering about...the QE shrouded barrel. It's actually a little quieter than my Mod 95, but that's tempered by parts of the stock being hollow, so you get some ringing in the stock when shooting so while the shrouded barrel may make for a quieter firing pellet, it doesn't quiet the piston noise and ringing and something I'll probably also tinker with to see if I can deaden it like I did with my Edges.
After running maybe 50 pellets through it just randomly plastering my backstop, I got the chrony out and tested my 4 favorite pellets:
-H&N Sniper Medium 8.5gr: High 929, Low 918, average 923, ES 8, SD 2, fpe 16.08.
-RWS R-10 Match 8.2gr: High 918, Low 909, ES 7, SD 2, fpe 15.18.
-H&N FTT 8.64gr: High 916, Low 908, ES 8, SD 2, fpe 15.93.
-RWS Superdome 8.3gr: High 903, Low 892, ES 11, SD 3, fpe 14.87.

After all the above, I mounted a Centerpoint 3-9x32 scope for now and after getting sighted in at 20 yards, tried the FTT's and Snipers. If you haven't tried a tin of the Sniper Mediums yet, go get some. The 87 shoots them extremely well and as long as I do my part, they're silly accurate and have also claimed their first pest: a black crow dumb enough to land 30 feet away.
I'm currently tinkering with the stock filling the parts I can and it's getting painted to dress up the dull black finish it currently has and when I'm done, it's getting a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO scope, but if you're looking for a solid rifle with adjustable cheek rest that will get the job done, give the 87 QE a look. Considering the numbers I got in .177, the .22 and .25 versions should be just as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87QE-1.jpg
Views:	3547
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	99   Click image for larger version

Name:	87QE.jpg
Views:	3542
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	100   Click image for larger version

Name:	87QE Barrel.jpg
Views:	3551
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	101  

Last edited by SteveP; 02-02-2017 at 03:24 PM..
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
grumpy
Administrator

Thanks for the review bud. Seems like a nice lil gun for the cash.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Jward681

Nice review Steve. Glad you got another winner in your "small" collection.
Jward681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Airgun.Sniper

Steve I had the hollowing noise in my old 85 sniper. I ended up getting tired of it and installed expanding foam. Really like how accurate it was in .177 cal and really loved the FTT's.

Thanks for the review and hope to see more.