Air Gun Forums
Home | About Us | Contact Us
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Sponsors:
Left Advertisement

Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Jward681's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 83
Default Daisy 853

So I've owned this gun for nearly a year but haven't done a ton of shooting with it previous to today. With the house to myself, I made up a quick and easy trap consisting of a cardboard box and some old clothes. Being that the 753/853/953 rifle are rated at 510fps I knew this trap would be fine for me to get some basement plinking in.

My first goal was to get the Hawke 2-732AO that was generously given to me by SteveP dialed in. It took me a handful of shots to get close to 0. Once I got close and started trying to get dead on, I began having some issues with pulling shots due to the horrible trigger on this gun.

Talking with a few guys in chat, critter99 reminded me of the trigger mod on ( I found even better instructions in the Civilian Marksmanship Program site under "uploads" that include the disassembly instructions for the whole gun not just the trigger mod info.

Within a few minutes, I had the rifle disassembled and started following the step by step mod info. I'll admit I milked the clock some and took my sweet time turning a 25-30min job into a much longer process but got her back together. I didn't not reinstall the sear spring as it just adds resistance and weight to the trigger. Knowing the spring could be an issue I gave the gun an extreme bump test to be sure the sear was still safe smacking the rifle around on both sides, bouncing it on the butt against the ground and even busted out the rubber mallet to tap it around even more. Feeling comfortable with the safety side I wrapped it up. I ended up with a very crisp breaking trigger that I'd guess is at just over 1lb pull (don't have trigger gauge to verify).

Everything went smoothly until I got ready to drop the action back into the stock. In my haste I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the safety. The safety needs to be centered in the action OR more clearance needs to be made in the stock itself. As a result of my oversight and a wee bit to much force I ended up cracking the stock. It's a totally repairable crack and I had planned on refinishing the stock anyways but I've now added more work to that project.

NOTE: I did not take pics of the actual trigger mod as and CMP site both have plenty of pics. I will post pics tomorrow of the cracked stock so you all can laugh at me and hopefully my error can prevent someone else from making this mistake in the future.
Jward681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Jward681's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 83

As promised here's the error of my ways.....Try not to laugh to hard

Will post some groups after I repair the stock and get some trigger time.
Jward681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
grumpy's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 431

Ouch, sure if anyone can fix her, you can
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
SteveP's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 36

Now I don't feel so bad about breaking mine...couple pins and some glue and you'll likely never notice it after it's refinished
My favorites: Hatsan Galatian III QE .25, Weihrauch HW95 .22, Beeman R9 .20, Webley Tomahawks in .177 and (2) .22's and a few (21 for now) others
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Copyright 2011, All Rights Reserved